Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bilingual

Since I'm Korean, I'd love Campbell and Imogen can speak Korean as well as English. The other day, I read an article about teaching a baby two languages, and after reading that article, I realized how much it can be challenging for them.

First, Korean is totally totally different language with English. Even words' order is different as well as words vocabulary ('I like you' should be 'I you like).
Second, Campbell should memorize two words for every single thing. (Two times more vocabulary than one language speaking baby, and also English and Korean don't have any similar words at all)
Third, she has less chance to listen each language compared to other babies. If parents speak different languages, their baby might have a chance to listen same sentence a half times than another baby with same language speaking parents.

The article made me realize Campbell is doing so well with learning two languages, and it's amazing to see she can understand and speak both languages equally!
I know it'll be challenging more and more in the future, but I'll keep trying it. So fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment